[EPISODE] 01. Crybaby Usagi’s Magnificent Transformation.
Series: Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon
Romaji: Nakimushi Usagi no Kareinaru Henshin
Original Air Date: March 7, 1992
Director: Junichi Satou
Writer: Sukehiro Tomita
Animation Director: Hiromi Matsushita
Plot: As fourteen-year old Usagi Tsukino learns that she a warrior named Sailor Moon, the evil Dark Kingdom resurfaces to gather energy from humans.
- This is one of the few episodes of the first anime series to be closely based on a manga story, specifically Act 1.
- Through the use of the decorative accents in her hair buns, Sailor Moon could hear sounds from great distances. This would never happen again in the anime.
- Haruna Sakurada and Shingo Tsukino’s voice actor, Chiyoko Kawashima, would return to play Setsuna Meiou/Sailor Pluto.
- Part of Sailor Moon’s bow was left uncolored in the scene where she’s confronted by Morga’s minions.
- In the animation for Sailor Moon’s speech, she turns her back to the audience momentarily. Her rear bow is placed on the small of her back rather than on her waist. The artists never corrected this error in future episodes.
- Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Mamoru Chiba/Tuxedo Mask, Luna, Naru Osaka, Gurio Umino, Jadeite, Queen Beryl, Naru’s mother (Mayumi), Motoki Furuhata, Ikuko Tsukino, Shingo Tsukino, and Haruna Sakurada were all introduced.
- Usagi acquired the Henshin Brooch in this episode.
- Moon Prism Power Make Up, Moon Tiara Action, and Supersonic Waves were all used for the first time.
- Tuxedo Mask used his first rose in battle with the Dark Kingdom. These roses did not appear in the same manner in the manga.
- The opening theme song “Moonlight Densetsu” (Moonlight Legend) and the ending theme song “Heart Moving” were first used here.
- The first youma appeared here.
- This was series director Junichi Satou’s first episode as director. He was in charge of directing the first forty-six episodes as well as the first thirteen episodes of R.
- This was Sukehiro Tomita’s first episode as writer.
- This was Hiromi Matsushita’s first episode as animation director.
- DiC’s English dub (titled “A Moon Star is Born”):
Characters’ names were changed: Usagi/Serena, Mamoru/Darien, Naru/Molly, Jadeite/Jedite, and Gurio/Melvin.
Sailor Senshi were now called “Sailor Scouts.”
The Dark Kingdom was known as the Negaverse.
An eighty second prologue made up of clips from episode 44 was attached to the episode.
Sailor Moon’s transformation and attack sequences were sped up.
The scene where Morga’s minion tried to strike Sailor Moon with the broken bottle was cut.
- The Korean dub:
Kanji was removed from some scenes, leaving only blank spaces.
- The German and Dutch dubs:
Bunny (Usagi) referred to Luna as “sir.”
- The Tsukino House.
- Game Center Crown.
- Juuban Municipal Junior High School.
- Jewelry OSA・P.
- The Dark Kingdom.